Thursday 19 September 2013

The Totally Amazing Versatile White Sauce

I love to cook for my family. I like coming up with cool dishes and seeing what they think. In my head my family raves about the amazing meal I slaved over. In reality my husband falls more in love with me because of my impressive culinary skills, while my kids say ewwww!!!! yuck!!!! (I have since taught them to say, "Thanks Mom. What an interesting flavour." For if one says they don't like it then they all don't like it.)

One rule I have when I cook weekday dinners is that it needs to be relatively simple and has to be done within half an hour. With going out to get the kids back from school and then if I have book club or my husband needs to go out to do something or if it is girl guide night, I don't have time to be cooking a meal that will take me an hour to make. (Unless it is the crock pot or something cooked in the oven. Turn on, walk away? Yes please!) That is what I love about this white sauce. It is versatile, it doesn't take long to make and it is yummers.

This is the white sauce:
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a small pan.
Add 2 tablespoons of flour stir together until smooth and somewhat bubbly
then pour in 1 cup of milk stir constantly until it boils for one minute. It will thicken up.
Some people may wish to add salt and pepper to taste.

With this base you can make any kind of a creamy sauce you would like. Want to have a cheese fondue, add a cup or so of shredded cheese. Want a creamy curry sauce, use a tablespoon of curry powder for one of the tablespoons of flour. Add dill and pour over salmon and then bake, so yummy. Add parmesan cheese and you have alfredo sauce. So far, these are what I have come up with. The only limit is your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment