Thursday 31 October 2013

Tacos With A Twist

I love tacos. I could probably eat tacos every other day and be satisfied with life. Well, maybe that would be going overboard, but I love them. I love the spice of the meat, not too spicy, enough flavour and warmth to be delightful. The crunch of a taco shell is music to my ears.

Unfortunately taco shells have fats and lots of carbs, and not low glycemic carbs. This is usually not a big deal. When I was pregnant with kiddie number three I developed gestational diabetes. I was put on a low glycemic diet, which totally helped keep my sugar levels under control, but it meant I was on a very restrictive diet (at least restrictive to me). No taco shells. Oh the horror!

That's when I discovered brown rice. I made a taco salad mixed with brown rice. Super yummy and good for my sugar levels. Even though my body is back to normal, well, my blood sugars are at least, I still make it. Right now I don't have the organization for starting the brown rice early, so I have been using Uncle Ben's microwave brown rice. 90 seconds and done. I know it is not ideal but as established before, times and seasons!

So try brown rice next time you are planning tacos. It is nutritious and delicious. A perfect combination.

Here is the recipe for my Taco Meat seasoning.

1lb or so hamburger, browned
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic minced or 1/8 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
2/3 cup water

Mix all together in a pan. Let mixture come to a boil. Then, simmer until water is mostly evaporated.

No comments:

Post a Comment