Thursday 10 October 2013

The Best Dessert for Thanksgiving!

I know I said that I would have the budget tutorial this week, but it isn't going to happen. Family life has been crazy and my level of sleep deprivation is at an all time high. I will for sure have it ready for next week.

Since it is Thanksgiving here in Canada I thought I would share what is now my all time favourite Thanksgiving dessert. Pumpkin Coconut cheesecake!

I first found this recipe in Chatelaine, an awesome Canadian magazine, in their October 2009 issue, I still have the paper copy and refer to it often. You can find the recipe online here. I will also give now below.

My one friend doesn't like pumpkin pie because she doesn't like things overly spiced. She can never tell what the pie will be like as each pumpkin pie is spiced differently, depending on who makes it. She loves this cheesecake though. So, if you are unsure about pumpkin pie, give this a try. Your taste buds will thank you.
from the chatelaine website

Ingredients
Crust
  • 2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
  • 11/2 cups toasted flaked coconut (I usually use unsweetened shredded coconut, as that is what I have on hand)
  • 1/4 granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Filling
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (no spices added, just pumpkin)
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 8oz. pkg of regular cream cheese at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla
1. For crust, preheat oven to 325F. Lightly butter sides of bottom of a 10-in springform pan. In a bowl, stir crumbs with 1 cup toasted coconut, granulated sugar and butter until evenly moist. Press over bottom and partway up sids of prepared pan. Bake in centre of oven until edges are golden, about 10 minutes. Cool on a rack. Keep oven on.

2. Meanwhile..., whisk eggs in a large bowl. Then whisk in pumpkin, brown sugar and seasonings. Cut cheese into cubes and place in a [separate] large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat in granulated sugar. Then beat in cream, vanilla and pumpkin mixture... until well mixed. Pour over warm crust.

3. Bake in centre of ...  oven until filling is almost set when pan is jiggled, 55 to 60 minutes. Place pan on a rack to cool. Immediately run a knife around inside pan edge to loosen curst and prevent cracking. When cooled to room temperature refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours. Remove from pan. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment