Thursday 14 November 2013

The Junk - Loot bags

Kids seem to come with a lot of junk. Everywhere you turn kids get more and more junky toys and crafts. Restaurants, community activities, school, and the notorious party loot bag. Oh how I loath the loot bag. Tiny plastic craziness.

Now don't get me wrong. I love bringing joy to children with a loot bag but, the cheapy stuff from the dollar store that breaks, doesn't work well and just plain sucks... NO THANKS! (I love the dollar store for many other things.)

It was refreshing to me when my daughter came home from a birthday party with a tomato plant seedling. The party was held in mid-march and the seedling was an inch or so high. My daughter watered it faithfully. She made sure it had enough sunlight and, when the time was right, planted it into a bigger container for the summer. She watched in anticipation as her plant continued to grow and thrive. She squealed with delight when the yellow flowers appeared and was in awe when she saw the green tomatoes start to ripen.

This simple loot bag idea kept giving and giving. It showed thoughtfulness, as the birthday parent would have had to start the seeds in advance of the party, and it taught their own child about gardening and seeds. Super awesome! My daughter was thrilled with the plant and didn't come home asking, "where are the toys?"

My last loot bag was homemade play dough and chocolate. (Two of my children have birthdays in late April. Hello Easter candy sales!) Both items are consumable and will not add to "the junk". (If the play dough was not wanted it can be put in the compost or a green bin as it is homemade.)

So this is my plea. Say no to the itsy bitsy toys of plastic. They may look cute but they really suck. Kids love them, parents don't. They add to the clutter of our homes and the clutter of the earth, as they are most likely to end up in the landfill. Quality is much better than the quantity of toys. Give loot bags that will give an experience. Though the tomatoes are gone, the memory of the plant is still there, and my daughter is already planning our garden for next spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment