Thursday 4 September 2014

Crazy Cake

Has this ever happened to you? You go to make a cake and then realize you don't have enough eggs. You don't feel like going to the store to get more and you don't have flax seeds to grind to make an egg alternative. What are you going to do?

Well in steps the crazy cake. I don't know if that is the real name for it. It is just what my mother always called it because she thinks it's crazy that it works. Crazy cake doesn't need eggs. Just some baking soda and vinegar and you end up with a cake that rises and has the perfect density and is super moist. No how sometimes it is really hard to find a great moist chocolate cake. Well you need to look no further. This cake seems to be moist all every single time.

Tonight is meet the teacher night at my girls school and the school council puts on a dessert potluck. So I made this today. I am going to put a chocolate butter cream icing on it but usually I just serve it with a glob of vanilla ice cream. Delicious.

I will give you the recipe for a 9"x13" pan. I made mind in an 8" square pan but just halving the recipe.


Crazy Cake
In a big bowl mix
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder

Make 3 holes into the mixture.
Hole #1 put in 1 tbsp white vinegar
Hole #2 put in 2 tsp  vanilla
Hole #3 put in 2/3 cup oil (I used canola)

Pour 2 cups of water over top and stir vigorously until it is mixed well.

Pour into greased pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Sometimes I don't bother with the holes and just dump all the liquid in at once. It seems to still work. I don't know why my mom had us make holes. Maybe it was to make it more fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment